As I sit here wondering how to write this post, tears begin to fall down my cheek. I am eternally blessed to have such a loving husband and wonderful father all wrapped up in Adam Cromwell. I am convinced Adam's dad and grandad helped shape him into the man he is today. My fervent prayer is that our son follow in their footsteps.
Have you ever met a hero that has so much strength and integrity, you wonder how it is humanly possible? One hot summer day we were leaning against grandaddy's old brown Ford F100. I can't remember what we were chatting about...maybe the number of deer he saw that morning, or the type of dead animal the dogs left for him on the front porch, or maybe where he was headed for lunch that afternoon. What I DO remember is grandaddy pulling up his pant leg, exposing a small wound on the back of his calf. He leans over and asked Adam, "Adam-Jack what does that look like to you?" "I don't know Grandaddy, were you bitten by something?" I will never forget what comes next. Grandaddy replies, "No I think I got shot! I heard some hunters firing in the distance and the next thing I know I look down and my calf was bleeding." Now you have to understand, Grandaddy has the uncanny ability to block out pain. As the good Lord is my witness, he had an entry AND exit wound from what appeared to be a 22 bullet hole.
Obviously this memory is very unique and hardly believable but so is this man...our "grandaddy". Although he is a man of few words now, his eyes still have a story to tell.
"The legacy of heroes is the memory of a great name and the inheritance of a great example."
Benjamin Disraeli (1804-1881) British politician and author.








Just getting caught up on your posts. I'm enjoying all the updates of your trip and hoping you are getting all settled. Been thinking about you guys!
ReplyDelete