Saturday, October 23, 2010

Our SECOND miracle for the week...baby "G's" arrival!

I woke up with some pain early Friday morning around 0245.  I was unsure about what I was feeling so I laid in bed for another hour or so before waking Adam.  I then began to track, what I now know are contractions, and they were all over the board...some 30 minutes apart, some 10 minutes.  I had a scheduled doctor's appointment later that morning at 0830 with my regular doctor, Dr. Joyner. After discussing with Adam, we decided to go ahead and give the family a "heads-up" on what I was feeling so they could get a start on the long drive here.  We also decided to "hold-out" from going to the hospital until after my appointment at 0830.  Wow, that became harder and harder to do because by 0630 my contractions seemed to be less than 5 minutes apart.  We decided to get dressed, pack the car, load the car seat, and head to the doctor a bit early.  The plan worked because the docs office called me back very shortly after we got there.  It took Dr. Joyner less than 30 seconds to check me and see that I was 5cm dilated with contractions at 2-3 minutes apart and to get to the hospital ASAP!!! So now my concerns that I was just experiencing severe gas pains were quickly put to rest :).
Dr. Joyner was taking call at noon on that day, so I was really trying to hold out until he got to the hospital!  After arriving to the hospital, they rolled me into the labor and delivery room and began the epidural process.  I was sooooo nervous about missing my opportunity for the meds but it all worked out. Shortly after receiving the meds, I was at 9 cm!  This labor was progressing quickly...so I thought.  Dr. Joyner came in to check on my progress and said that he wanted me to continue to contract the baby down in order to prevent me from having to push too long.  This process took about 5-6 more hours but was well worth it in the end.  I only pushed for 52 minutes. During this "down" time our extended family, the Shabazz's (minus Shaheed) came to visit and hang out.  Kasey and Adam were troopers, each doing there part...fetching ice chips, food for each other, blankets, and just plain loving!
All the hard work and determination paid off at 4:17pm on October 15, 2010...with the birth of our first born son Gavin Spencer Cromwell.  He weighed in at 7lbs even, 20 inches long!

Waiting patiently...

The Shabazzs

My loving husband...what a trooper!

Laughing, cutting-up, and enjoying the time...

He's here...

Our new family!

Daddy and Baby G bonding time

Thanks Dr. Joyner for being a great doc!

Our bundle of joy...


Aunt Kasey loving on her Gavin

Aunt Andi doing the same

Next up... a couple of days in hospital to recover before going home.  Grandparents are in route and have been since about 4:00 in the morning! Papa, Nana, and Gran Gran arrived around 9:30 that night.  Big Moma would be arriving around 9:00 the next morning along with Aunt Tiffany! 

Gran gran...

Papa

After the visitors left for the night.  We settled in as a new family and began a journey that would mark our lives forever!


1 comment:

  1. I love the picture! What an extraordinary miracle we get to experience!

    ReplyDelete